Adding a Windows 10 key to an existing Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS should be easy enough but for some reason I found a lot of users on forum having issues with this. There was also a lot of bad information which I think are related to the fact that Microsoft didn’t include old KMS servers from the start of Windows 10’s era. This article has been written on the 1st of November 2016 and at today the steps to add a Windows 10 key to an existing Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS are just a few.
A few notes before proceeding:
- You will have to follow these steps on all of your KMS servers.
- slmgr has to be ran from system32 (%windir%\system32).
- I suggest to run slmgr.vbs /dlv and take a screenshot of the info you see on screen before and after the procedure.
- slmgr.vbs takes a few seconds before completing.
- On the KMS server, check if KB3079821 is installed. If not installed it, downloading from the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3079821 . A reboot is required.
- Repeat this operation on all of your KMS Servers.
- Now you need to grab the correct key: in fact you will have to get the key called Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10 from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center. In order to get that product key, follow the steps below:
- Log on to the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
- Click License.
- Click Relationship Summary.
- Click on the License ID of the Active License you own.
- Finally locate Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10‘s key.
- We’re ready to install this key by running the following in an elevated command prompt of the KMS Server:
PowerShell1slmgr.vbs /ipk MYKEY-MYKEY-MYKEY-MYKEY-MYKEY
Needless to say: replace MYKEY-MYKEY-MYKEY-MYKEY with the key you’ve got from Step 2.
- You will receive a message that the key has been successfully installed. You will also note that Windows, on the KMS server(s) is no longer activated. Don’t worry, you will just need to run:
Test that everything is working as expected
You may test that the newly added key is working fine by installing Windows 10 VL to a new machine or by Migrating an existing Windows MAK key to KMS.