Microsoft released Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2 and lots of people found a little surprise: no graphic interface!
During the installation though, this wasn’t mentioned, you would only see two options:
- Windows Server Technical Preview 2
- Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools)
Nothing about the installation being server core. Whether you choose the first or the second option you’re still going to end up with no GUI. Note that Server Manager will still open up.
In order to enable the GUI on Windows Server 2016 follow the steps below.
- Open Server Manager (if not already opened).
- Click Add Roles and Features Wizard.
- Click on Features from the left pane.
- Expand User interfaces and infrastructure and then select Server Graphical Shell
- Continue with the installation and once completed you’re good to go!